Wednesday 2 December 2015

Exist in photographs

I C A N N O T stress enough how important I think this subject is. I am going to start this post by saying I will try my upmost to not preach but when I feel so passionately about something it usually comes across as either patronising or rude. So apologies in advance ;) It has a heartfelt meaning behind it!!

When I look at (the very few!!) pictures of myself and siblings as children one thing for sure is I am ALWAYS drawn to pictures that my parents are in. And I bet its the same with you reading this too! There is nothing better than having a giggle at those 90's perms, the patterned trousers and full fringes! I have written about this before but I am going to write about it again because I think it needs focus on it more than ever right now.

I see so so many friends, acquaintances, strangers, saying how much they need to lose a bit of weight or need to get their hair done etc etc etc. I photograph so many families with at least 85% saying 'can you get mainly the children and just one with us both in?' or I approach the subject and it is instantly met with 'Oh gosh, no!! Just take some of the children!'. or even 'Please can you make me 3 sizes smaller!!'.

Let me ask you this, when you look at photos of you as a child do you instantly think 'Wow my mum looks a bit chubby around the waist?' 'Oh gosh, she didn't even get her roots done before this picture was taken!!' No. No you do not!! You see the smiles, the holidays, the memories and your childhood. And that is exactly how your children feel about you and exactly how they will see it in 10, 20 years to come. They will be so grateful for the pictures and so thrilled you captured them growing into little adults.

I know now that the reason behind me feeling so strongly about this is because I don't have many photographs of me as a child to which I have been recently told by mum is because they 'forgot'! I don't have many pictures to analyse and compare to my own children and I do not want that for my brood and I don't want that for you either! So lets get prepared to exist in photographs. If you don't feel comfortable, do something about it! But don't fret, because rest assured you don't have to show anyone if you don't want to but your children will be eternally grateful and actually, I am quite sure you will love them once you see them!

So whether its a cheeky selfie or a full blown family photo shoot, be in your photos! Get a cheap tripod and whack the self timer on, grab a stranger and get them to photograph you! Out with friends, even better! Take 5 minutes out of your Christmas Day to snap a few photos and you will not regret it.

So I have to practice what I preach. And my gosh am I pleased I did. Back in the summer I asked Georgina Piper Photography to photograph us at the ever beautiful Camber Sands. I was petrified. Completely and utterly dreading what the children would say or do, wondering if they would be complete pains and play up for poor Georgie but all expectations were smashed and we had the most brilliant time. It was freezing, windy and about to drizzle on us but that didn't put us off! Georgie is calming, made us feel so relaxed and it felt more like a good natter with a friend rather than formal portrait session. She totally got us as a family and we are all completely obsessed with the outcome. And it just so happens that the colours that seep through match our lounge perfectly, it will soon look like a shrine to ourselves in our house!!

Thank you so much, Georgina, you're fabulous. And we so can't wait to book in next year!

Char x
















2 comments:

  1. So so so beautiful! She's amazzzzzing! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous pictures. Amen to ALL OF THIS. xxx

    ReplyDelete